Joint pain and arthritis in pets is common and can be painful, especially in dogs. It is brought about by pets aging, diet and lifestyle but it can also be genetic. The result is an erosion of cartilage, severe pain, and restricted movement for your pet. However, joint problems can be easily avoided or helped with a little extra care.
Below is a list of points that will enable you to understand your pet’s condition and how you can treat it:
- A bed that is supportive but cozy is what you want. Anything too soft and cushy will mean your pet will have trouble getting out of it. A tweed bed offers the perfect combination of comfort and support.
- Keeping your pet warm is a great way to make sure his joints are in tip top condition. You can keep their bed nice and warm with a self-heating pad that will ensure your pet is snug, and his joints aren’t stiff.
- Making sure your dog is eating the right food and getting a nutritious, balanced diet is essential to keeping his joints healthy. Look out for dry dog food which is always packed full of protein, fats and ”joint care extra”. Even if your dog has arthritis he can still enjoy yummy treats! Purchase foods that contain omega 3 and glucosamine and feeding them one a day should help to relieve the stiffness of your dog’s joints. An example of one such treat is this one: https://www.amazon.com/Nootie-Glucosamine-Chondroitin-Supplement-Dysplasia/dp/B018R9UHU8/ Feeding your pet several small meals per day instead of one large meal will also help with joint care.
- Giving your dog’s joints a gentle, firm massage can contribute to taking the pain away from achy bones and alleviate swelling. A five-minute massage every day with a typical rubbing ointment can help. Be sure to use the best creams for the massage to get useful results. Some research will be needed as well as inquiring more from the veterinary.
- Some light exercise is great to keep your pets bones healthy. Too much exercise can make your pets joints stiff and painful. Most pet shops have a great selection of dog toys and cat toys to keep your pet active so take some time out to play with them.
- You can support your pet’s joint health by giving them regular supplements that will make their mobility easier.
A dog is human’s best friend. In case the dog is suffering then the owner will not be happy. Following the tips mentioned above will keep your dog pain free and healthy all the time.